Kyushu University Integrated Leagal Office

Export Controls

To respond to above demands of society, at Kyushu University QILO has taken the lead

in implementing security management based on the following three pillars.

Export control based on FEFTA Entrance control offoreign researchers and students Research acceptance control(Credit check, etc.)

Please make a temporary registration of the e-application system for export of goods and acceptance of foreign nationals in the University from here

If you are a first-time user of the e-application system, please complete a temporary registration.
If you have already used the system, please click on the “Application Procedures” tab below and log in to the system.

Application Procedures(For initiator of goods/foreigner case)Clicking this will connect you to the login screen of the e-application system. Manual(For initiator of goods case) Manual(For initiator of foreigner case) Manual(For initiator of JSPS foreign researcher invitation program case) Latest USER LIST (Updated on September 2021)

Login page for department in charge of goods Manual(For primary approver in the department in charge of goods)

At Kyushu University, the number of opportunities for international academic exchange and international industry-academia-government collaboration are increasing, and cross-border educational activities and research are actively conducted, such as teaching advanced technologies to international students, sending (or taking out) research materials, equipment and research results to overseas universities and private companies.

Although this situation is very desirable from the perspective of internationalization, there is a concern in the international community that such advanced technologies and materials may fall into the hand of terrorists and countries developing weapons of mass destruction. Universities in Japan are strongly required to manage foreign students and to ensure the management of foreign students and the sending (or taking out) of research materials and equipment overseas in accordance with the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act (Act No. 228 of 1949) and other related laws and regulations (hereinafter referred to as the “FEFTA”).

Q and A

Q01Is there any problem to provide technical guidance(support?) to foreign student from the institution stipulated on the End Users List ?

APlease see the Article 3 (exceptions) of Kyushu University Management Guidelines for Export Control. If the provision of the technology falls under exceptions, no application is required, but if it does not, application is needed.

Q02As a result of the classification, it was determined to be “applicable”. How long does it take to get permission from the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry?

AIt depends on the section number that applied. It may take a few weeks to a few months, so please check as soon as possible.

Q03As a result of the classification, it was determined to be “non-applicable”. Do I need to submit an application form to my department?

AYes, you need to submit am application form. The final decision will be made by the Chief Export Control Officer, so even if your application is “non-applicable”, please submit the application form to the Export Control Division of your department.

Q04Who will be responsible in case the product is sent overseas as “not applicable” due to the manufacturer’s judgment of “non-applicable”, which is is actually “applicable”?

AEven if the manufacturer makes a mistake in determining the applicability of a product, the person who exported the product is still responsible under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law. It is necessary to obtain a satisfactory explanation from the manufacturer as to why such a judgment was made.

Q05Is a foreigner who is employed by the University for only two months considered a resident?

AUnder the FEFTA, one become a resident when they are employed. However, we need to ensure that we know the employee’s affiliation in their home country and that the technology is provided on the premise that it will not be used for military purposes after their returning to the home country. Please follow the Guidelines for Entrance Control Procedures for Foreign Researchers and International Students and complete the necessary procedures when necessary.

Q06On business trips abroad, can I freely bring items that do not fall under the list control?

AGoods generally sold in stores (personal cell phones, laptop computers, hair dryers, watches, etc.) may be taken abroad without application procedures if they are to be brought out and back for personal use. However, if they are to be provided to others overseas, procedures are required.

Q07When conducting joint research with a foreign company or organization, are export control procedures required before starting the research?

APlease carry out export control procedures for international joint research at the time when materials and equipment need to be provided during the conduct of the research. As for joint research itself, it is necessary to fully understand the other company or organization and confirm the safety before starting. Please follow the procedures specified in the Protocol on Handling of the Acceptance of International Industry-Academia-Government Collaborative Research Projects.

Q08Do I need to get permission to provide patent information?

APublicly available patent information is considered “publicly known technology” and does not require a permission under export control procedures.

Q09I understand that permission is not required for manuscripts for conferences, but what kind of sensitive material is acceptable?

AItems prepared for publication at conferences, etc. are not subject to regulation. However, if the technology to be published has the potential to facilitate the development of weapons of mass destruction, etc., please make careful judgments about the appropriateness of publication. If you are unsure, please contact the QILO.

Q10Does education (lectures) constitute the transfer of technology?

ALectures using commercially available textbooks are not subject to regulation as they provide publicly known technology. However, if you wish to provide technology to foreign graduate students, research students, etc., using know-how, data, or programs that are owned by the laboratory and have not been published outside the laboratory, permission may be required depending on the content. For details, please refer to 輸出管理統括責任者が別に定める研究・教育活動における技術の提供(要項第3条第2項2号)【学内限定】.

Q11What kind of email can be the email used as evidence in preparing the application?

AIn the case of an application for the export of goods, please submit as evidence an email, etc., showing that the export of the relevant goods is certain to take place. If you transfer information about the technology by email, that email is appropriate to be submitted as evidence.