Kyushu University Integrated Leagal Office

Export control based on FEFTA

In order to prevent cargo (or technology) that could lead to the manufacture or development of weapons of mass destruction from passing to states or terrorists that threaten the security of their countries and the international community, many countries, including Japan, have established an international framework, mainly among developed countries, to control such cargo from a security perspective. In Japan, this initiative is implemented in accordance with the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, and universities must also comply with the law.

In April 2010, the Kyushu University Security Export Control Regulations (Japanese only) came into effect. These regulations stipulate that the university will conduct unified management when sending (or taking) research materials and equipment overseas and when providing technology to foreign researchers (international students) and others. Researchers are requested to follow the procedures below to apply for export control before sending (or taking) research materials and equipment overseas or providing technology to foreign researchers.

Before Application

Before application, please do the thing as stated below.

  • For manufacturer’s products:Please order Certificate of Applicability from the manufacturer/
  • For hand-made products:Please see the List-controlled Items, then check for any applicable items.

List-controlled Items

Application for Export

Please apply for export by QILO E-Application System.


The Researchers sending or taking research materials to foreign country.

※If students do so, the supervisor must do the procedure on behalf of the student.

How to apply

You can apply for export by QILO E-Application System.

※The first time user needs temporary register.(After temporary registers, you may receive the link)

Login to E-Application System For the first time user [Temporary Register]

Operation Manual

*The operation manual is for on-campus use only.
Before see the manual, please Login to the Kyushu University SSO System.

For Applicant:Operation Manual【on-campus use】

The Flow after Application

After application, the process follows the flow shown in the figure below. It usually takes about two weeks from the application to the issuance of the Certificate of Non-Applicability, and about one to three months to the issuance of the METI Export Permit.

1 Applicants may be contacted during the review process.


Reference Documents

Relavant Information


Q01Is there any problem to provide technical guidance(support?) to foreign student from the institution stipulated on the End Users List ?

APlease see the Article 3 (exceptions) of Kyushu University Management Guidelines for Export Control. If the provision of the technology falls under exceptions, no application is required, but if it does not, application is needed.

Q02As a result of the classification, it was determined to be “applicable”. How long does it take to get permission from the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry?

AIt depends on the section number that applied. It may take a few weeks to a few months, so please check as soon as possible.

Q03As a result of the classification, it was determined to be “non-applicable”. Do I need to submit an application form to my department?

AYes, you need to submit am application form. The final decision will be made by the Chief Export Control Officer, so even if your application is “non-applicable”, please submit the application form to the Export Control Division of your department.

Q04Who will be responsible in case the product is sent overseas as “not applicable” due to the manufacturer’s judgment of “non-applicable”, which is is actually “applicable”?

AEven if the manufacturer makes a mistake in determining the applicability of a product, the person who exported the product is still responsible under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law. It is necessary to obtain a satisfactory explanation from the manufacturer as to why such a judgment was made.

Q05On business trips abroad, can I freely bring items that do not fall under the list control?

AGoods generally sold in stores (personal cell phones, laptop computers, hair dryers, watches, etc.) may be taken abroad without application procedures if they are to be brought out and back for personal use. However, if they are to be provided to others overseas, procedures are required.

Q06When conducting joint research with a foreign company or organization, are export control procedures required before starting the research?

APlease carry out export control procedures for international joint research at the time when materials and equipment need to be provided during the conduct of the research. As for joint research itself, it is necessary to fully understand the other company or organization and confirm the safety before starting. Please follow the procedures specified in the Protocol on Handling of the Acceptance of International Industry-Academia-Government Collaborative Research Projects.

Q07Do I need to get permission to provide patent information?

APublicly available patent information is considered “publicly known technology” and does not require a permission under export control procedures.

Q08I understand that permission is not required for manuscripts for conferences, but what kind of sensitive material is acceptable?

AItems prepared for publication at conferences, etc. are not subject to regulation. However, if the technology to be published has the potential to facilitate the development of weapons of mass destruction, etc., please make careful judgments about the appropriateness of publication. If you are unsure, please contact the QILO.

Q09Does education (lectures) constitute the transfer of technology?

ALectures using commercially available textbooks are not subject to regulation as they provide publicly known technology. However, if you wish to provide technology to foreign graduate students, research students, etc., using know-how, data, or programs that are owned by the laboratory and have not been published outside the laboratory, permission may be required depending on the content. For details, please refer to 輸出管理統括責任者が別に定める研究・教育活動における技術の提供(要項第3条第2項2号)【学内限定】.

Q10What kind of email can be the email used as evidence in preparing the application?

AIn the case of an application for the export of goods, please submit as evidence an email, etc., showing that the export of the relevant goods is certain to take place. If you transfer information about the technology by email, that email is appropriate to be submitted as evidence.